This winter you might hear people using the word “Hygge” which refers to “a form of togetherness” but is most commonly used to describe a cozy, warm Nordic feel.
Since the late 20th century it has been a defining characteristic of Danish culture but is relatively new down under. The “Hygge” home has throw pillows made of faux fur or velvet, thick woolly blankets tossed over sofas, soft, warm lighting and if you are lucky, a fireplace.
Follow these tips your home will be all nice and hygge:
· Pre-program thermostats to switch on automatically instead of raising or lowering the temperature manually.
· Get your fireplace and chimney thoroughly cleaned to ensure it is safe.
· Invest in some fluffy throw blankets to add texture and warmth to your lounge room as well as something to snuggle under on cool evenings.
· Bright, thick rugs (with anti-slip pads) add warmth and colour to wood and tile floors and stop air coming through gaps.
· Trap warmth in the house with layered floor-length curtains and shades.
· Before closing the windows and doors, give your home a thorough seasonal clean using this Checklist to remove all dust and clutter.
If that last one seems all too hard to do yourself, book a professional cleaning service with UrbanYou and your home will be sparkling and dust free, ready for the quiet, cuddly nights of winter to come.
UrbanYou is changing the way Aussies buy home services. Busy people can now instantly connect with trusted service professionals and manage all their property needs through the UrbanYou platform. Cleaning day will be a highlight of your week when you book home cleaning services that come to you at a time and date you need.
Now that your home is sparkling, how are you going to enjoy the chilly months ahead?